The Well Dressed Man With A Beard
- After the final no there comes a yes
- And on that yes the future world depends.
- No was the night. Yes is this present sun.
- If the rejected things, the things denied,
- Slid over the western cataract, yet one,
- One only, one thing that was firm, even
- No greater than a cricket's horn, no more
- Than a thought to be rehearsed all day, a speech
- Of the self that must sustain itself on speech,
- One thing remaining, infallible, would be
- Enough. Ah! douce campagna of that thing!
- Ah! douce campagna, honey in the heart,
- Green in the body, out of a petty phrase,
- Out of a thing believed, a thing affirmed:
- The form on the pillow humming while one sleeps,
- The aureole above the humming house...
- It can never be satisfied, the mind, never.
From Harmonium, 1923.
- --oOo-- -