Witchcraft By A Picture
- I fix mine eye on thine, and there
- Pity my picture burning in thine eye;
- My picture drowned in a transparent tear,
- When I look lower I espy.
- Hadst thou the wicked skill
- By pictures made and mard, to kill,
- How many ways mightst thou perform thy will?
- But now I have drunk thy sweet salt tears,
- And though thou pour more I 'll depart;
- My picture vanished, vanish fears
- That I can be endamaged by that art;
- Though thou retain of me
- One picture more, yet that will be,
- Being in thine own heart, from all malice free.
From: Songs and Sonnets, 1633.
- --oOo-- -