- I have experienc'd
- The worst, the World can wreak on me—the worst
- That can make Life indifferent, yet disturb
- With whisper'd Discontents the dying prayer—
- I have beheld the whole of all, wherein
- My Heart had any interest in this Life,
- To be disrent and torn from off my Hopes
- That nothing now is left. Why then live on ?
- That Hostage, which the world had in it's keeping
- Given by me as a Pledge that I would live—
- That Hope of Her, say rather, that pure Faith
- In her fix'd Love, which held me to keep truce
- With the Tyranny of Life—is gone ah ! whither ?
- What boots it to reply ? 'tis gone ! and now
- Well may I break this Pact, this League of Blood
- That ties me to myself—and break I shall !
- --oOo-- -